On Wednesday, April 15, 2015, Orlando Remembered, a Committee of the Historical Society of Central Florida, met in the 3rd floor Grand Jury Room at the History Center, 65 E. Central Blvd., Orlando FL. Meeting was called to order at 9 a.m., followed by the Pledge of Allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America. Attending were:
Robert Serros, Chairman
Shirley Cannon, Vice Chairman
Mark Line, Past Chairman
Grace Chewning, Secretary
Peggy Jo van den Berg
1. MINUTES – The March 18 minutes were approved as written on motion of V. Ratliff, seconded by P. van den Berg and vote carried.
2. TREASURER’S REPORT – K. Riley cited balances through 3/21 of $17,220.36 in the OR Money Market account and $9,498 in the Andrew N. Serros Legacy Endowment Fund [CD].
3. PROJECT PRIORITIES
A] 390 N. Orange Ave./Bank of America – A. Lam reviewed steps being taken to utilize an existing case in inventory for anticipated completion by summer’s end.
B] Autrey Arcade/Jefferson Court block – A. Lam advised that only photos and captions are needed to finalize this proposed audio-visual monitor display.
4. OLD BUSINESS: [a] Strategic Initiatives: ► Member Education: Visit existing displays. ► Exhibits and website: Mike Perkins reported on revamping of the History Center website, which will include OR. ► “We Love Orlando” Party: No report. ► Orlando Remembered Legacy: No report. [b] Edited draft of “Historic Downtown Orlando Walking Tour” brochure, incorporating OR displays, is in final review. [c] Possible Media wall in the History Center is status quo. [d] Refurbishment/installation of original Sperry Fountain in Greenwood Cemetery.
5. NEW BUSINESS: ☑ Following discussion on recent news articles concerning “Constitution Green Park” at the NWC of E. South St./S. Summerlin Ave., it was moved by D. Pottinger, seconded by L. Handley and vote carried that OR support City acquisition thereof. ☑ R. Forbes extended invitation from Mayor Buddy Dyer and Commissioner Patty Sheehan to attend the Unveiling of the Eppes-Shine Family Florida Marker on Tuesday, May 19, 2:45 p.m., Greenwood Cemetery, 1603 Greenwood St.
6. ON-GOING ACTIVITIES: () M. Perkins related that 400+ people have already registered for the 2015 “John Young History Makers” event on April 23 honoring Dr. John C. Hitt [present], UCF President, and Burt Roper [past], Florida citrus pioneer/inventor/philanthropist. () Historical Society President Mark Line commented on status of the “100 Historical Icons of Orlando, 1960-1985” and scheduled opening of the exhibit on April 25. He submitted a list from Jason Zangari on various materials desired for contribution [e.g., Orlando Youth Center, D’Agostino’s restaurant, Meiner’s BBQ]. () T. Rivera’s report was received via email: RICHES will host an interactive workshop on April 30 at the Orlando Public Library in the Melrose Center from noon-1:30 p.m. The workshop will be on-hands and offer the public an opportunity to explore the site and add digital items. Anyone wanting tips on using the interface should bring a laptop to actively participate. Space is limited. Please register online at: https://richesworkshoporlando.eventbrite.com. We hope to see some Orlando Remembered members in attendance as this is a great time to take a closer look that the OR exhibits. Also for the record, the OR exhibits can be found here: https://richesmi.cah.ucf.edu/omeka2/orlandoremembered. Exhibit titles are Orlando
Regions Bank, Orlando Public Library, Downtown Information Center. You can also search by repository. Orlando Remembered is listed and can be selected.
7. ANNOUNCEMENTS/GOOD OF THE ORDER: Sandy Dann brought his most recently published book! – “Sandy Dann’s Oldlando, The Legacies of the Dann and Lawson Families as Early Settlers of Orlando and Central Florida.” S. Cannon mentioned various activities by the Pine Castle Woman’s Club and the Pine Castle Historical Society.
8. ORLANDOANS REMEMBERED – People whose lives were so important to so many, who helped make Orlando a great City and whose passing represents a significant loss to our community: Andrew Ernest Chandler, Daniel Allen Bower, Irving Reedy, Col. Stanley I. Hand, Sr., Dr. George Dennis Mitchell, Charles William Moses, Jim Lynch.
9. ADJOURNMENT – There being no further business, meeting was adjourned – at 10:15 a.m. Next gathering is May 20, 2015, 9 a.m., at the History Center.
Grace Ann Chewning, Secretary
Orlando Remembered Loves “The City Beautiful!”