On Wednesday, October 21, 2015, Orlando Remembered, Inc., met in the 3rd floor Grand Jury Room at the History Center, 65 E. Central Blvd., Orlando FL. Meeting was called to order at 9 a.m., followed by the Pledge of Allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America. Attending were:
Robert Serros, Chairman
Shirley Cannon, Vice Chairman
Grace Chewning, Secretary
Mark Line, Past Chairman
Peggy Jo van den Berg
1. MINUTES – The September 16 minutes were approved as written.
2. TREASURER’S REPORT – OR/$17,329; Andrew Serros Legacy Endowment/$9,537.93.
3. PROJECT PRIORITIES
A] Relating to Item 5[A], last month’s minutes, which approved proposal for prototype display panels to be installed as our new design/branding concept along with new Logo, Anita Lam, Emmett O’Dell, Mark Line and Bob Serros reported results of a subsequent very productive meeting with Hank Katzen, owner of 1 S. Orange Ave. A Memorandum of Understanding is anticipated to follow. Efforts will proceed to receive authorization for installation at other locations, such as 20 N. Orange Ave./San Juan, 390 N. Orange Ave./Bank of America, Autrey Arcade/Jefferson Court block.
4. OLD BUSINESS: [a] Strategic Initiatives: ► Member Education: Visit existing displays. ► Exhibits and website: Emmett Odell projected an OR website will be “up and running” by March! ► “We Love Orlando” Party: No report. ► Orlando Remembered Legacy: No report.
5. NEW BUSINESS: [A] Proposed Bylaws for Orlando Remembered, Inc., prepared by Attorney Justine Thompson Cowan in connection with obtaining 501(c)(3) charitable status were submitted for consideration. Following discussion, it was moved by E. Odell, seconded by V. Ratliff and vote carried unanimously that same be adopted. [B] Richard Forbes advised there has been a change in ownership of the Rutland Building/14 E. Washington St. and construction modifications are a possibility. Mark Line and/or Richard will contact appropriate parties thereon.
6. ON-GOING ACTIVITIES: ()Tiffany Rivera related that UCF RICHES has a History and Historians class working on an OR project this semester and that the Professor teaching the class would like to have the student present the final work product at the December 16 meeting [NOTE: It will be on the Agenda!]. She also reminded that OR exhibits can be found at: https://richesmi.cah.ucf.edu/omeka2/orlandoremembered Exhibit titles are Orlando Regions Bank, Orlando Public Library, Downtown Information Center. You may also search by repository. Orlando Remembered is listed and can be selected.
() Shirley Cannon commented on varied activities by the Pine Castle Woman’s Club and the Pine Castle Historical Society, including efforts toward affiliation recognition. She noted a much appreciated visit by Dr. Connie Lester/UCF RICHES, Dr. Scot A. French and two of their graduate students who are looking forward to archive the history of Sky Lake and its relationship with Martin Marietta.
7. ANNOUNCEMENTS/GOOD OF THE ORDER: WELCOME Jim Hardman, 735 Hardman Dr., Orlando 32806, 407-898-7163(H), 407-492-5654(C), Jameseh@aol.com! ”Heartfelt Wishes” to Charter Member Joe Guernsey on the 97th Anniversary of his Natal Day, October 13!
8. ORLANDOANS REMEMBERED – People whose lives were so important to so many, who helped make Orlando a great City and whose passing represents a significant loss to our community: James Anthony “Jim” Hinson; Victor Edward “Woody” Woodman, Esq.; John Lundy Andrews; Lois Gail Begley; Emily Beacham “Beachy” Perkins Harrell; Eva Lynn “Fig” Newton Faucette; Dr. Robert F. “Bob” Stonerock, Jr.; Frederick W. “Fred” Leonhardt, Esq.; John “Jack” Ledoux; C.W. “Bill” Jennings, Jr.; Elizabeth “Betty” Giles Brown; Joan Power Holland; Barbara “Babs” Dun; Dorothy J. Peterson; Charles Stewart Rosenfelt; Samuel “Sam” Morrow; Bennett Lee “Ben” Musik; Sandy Weeks Dann.
9. ADJOURNMENT – There being no further business, meeting was adjourned at 9:55 a.m. on motion of M. Line, seconded by P. van den Berg and vote carried. Next OR gathering is November 18 at the History Center.
Grace Ann Chewning, Secretary
Orlando Remembered Loves “The City Beautiful!”