On Wednesday, January 20, 2016, Orlando Remembered, Inc., met in the 3rd floor Grand Jury Room at the Orange County Regional History Center, 65 E. Central Blvd., Orlando FL. Meeting was called to order at 9 a.m., followed by the Pledge of Allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America. Attending were:
Robert Serros, President
Shirley Cannon, Vice President
Grace Chewning, Secretary/Treas.
Mark Line, Past Chairman
Peggy Jo van den Berg
1. MINUTES – The December 16 minutes were approved as written on motion of V. Ratliff, seconded by C. Wolfe and vote carried.
2. TREASURER’S REPORT – OR/$17,334.78; Andrew Serros Legacy Endowment/$9,537.93.
3. PROJECT PRIORITIES
A] Upon activation of the OR website, installation will proceed simultaneously of approved prototype display panels with the new design/branding concept and Logo. Initial locations for the panels include 1 S. Orange Ave., 20 N. Orange Ave./San Juan, 390 N. Orange Ave./Bank of America, Autrey Arcade/Jefferson Court block.
4. OLD BUSINESS: [a] Strategic Initiatives: ► Member Education. ► Exhibits and website. M. Line reported that Matt Higgs, HardcoreDev.com, who is doing the website for the Historical Society, will also create the OR website in Word Press and should be operational by March. ► “We Love Orlando” Party ► Orlando Remembered Legacy. [b] G. Chewning indicated finalization of the 501(c)(3) charitable status process at the various government levels! [c] Referring to the What’s Up Downtown Historic Walking Tour led by Richard Forbes starting at 8:30 a.m. on March 3rd, Mark Line reviewed list of OR volunteers who will appear “in character” at various stops along the route.
5. NEW BUSINESS: [a] Jane Tracy related that remodeling on the 4th floor at the Orlando Public Library will require relocation of the OR display. Serving as an ad hoc committee to interface with Library staff on potential new site within the facility are Ann Bennett, Peggy Jo van den Berg and Whitney Broadaway. [b] A Memorandum of Understanding [MOU] will be prepared covering the Orlando Remembered, Inc./Historical Society relationship.
6. ON-GOING ACTIVITIES: () Jeff Jakubik outlined some of the activities underway regarding the History Center, including redesign! () Shirley Cannon cited meeting with Dr. Connie Lester and Dr. French about UCF History students undertaking digitization of Sky Lake materials for the Pine Castle Woman’s Club and that the Pine Castle Historical Society has reached 450 members! () Regarding the Orange Preservation Trust, Ray Cox was elected President and Mark Line, Vice President. A meeting is scheduled this evening to discuss/establish priorities. () Tiffany Rivera related via email that UCF “RICHES” has reserved the Melrose Center Interactive Media Wall at the Orlando Public Library on April 20 for presentation of OR digital exhibits and metadata work product by the undergraduate students in Dr. Rose Beiler’s History and Historians class, including the Post Office display.
7. ANNOUNCEMENTS/GOOD OF THE ORDER: Claude Wolfe introduced Troy Finnegan, In-house Counsel for Dr. Phillips and President of the University Club, who commented on proposed redevelopment of the UC site. Bunny Parish advised via email that there will be a survey concerning the Lee Middle School name change, and she hopes to have more info by next month’s meeting. John Camichos and Jane Tracy offered additional input regarding April 25 and 30 presentations by Lisa Camichos at the Orlando Public Library on “The Orlando Plan, Orlando’s Effort to Save Volos, Greece” and the African American community contribution to the Orlando Plan, during American Library Association Preservation Week. Her dissertation is at: http://www.orlandomemory.info/search?combine=Volos. Whitney Broadaway noted that the historic Howey Mansion is for sale.
8. ORLANDOANS REMEMBERED – People whose lives were so important to so many, who helped make Orlando a great City and whose passing represents a significant loss to our community: Elaine Ross, M.D.; E. Diane Racey Pace; Elizabeth “Betty” Hixon Stuart; John Boyd “Jack” Kittinger; Jessie Reba McCalla Heasley; Laura Jean “LJ” Trapnell Freeman; Audrey June Tayler Harding; Myrtle Philpot Blackwelder; Benjamin F. Smathers, Esq.; Richard Pace
9. ADJOURNMENT – There being no further business, meeting was adjourned at 10 a.m. Next OR gathering is February 17, 2016, 9 a.m., at the History Center.
Grace Ann Chewning, Secretary-Treasurer
Orlando Remembered, Inc., Loves “The City Beautiful!”