On Wednesday, March 15, 2017, Orlando Remembered, Inc., met at the Orange County Regional History Center, 65 E. Central Blvd., Orlando FL. Meeting was called to order at 9 a.m., followed by the Pledge of Allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America. Attending were:
Claude Wolfe, President
Vic Ratliff, Vice President
Grace Chewning, Secretary/Treas.
Peggy Jo van den Berg
Laura Beardall McLeod
1. PRESENTATION: Special Guest Speaker, Laura Beardall McLeod, a 4th generation Orlandoan, reviewed familial history, illustrating the significant impact that these ancestors had on the fabric and development of “The City Beautiful.”
2. MINUTES – The February 15 minutes were approved as written on motion of A. Bennett, seconded by S. Cannon and vote carried.
3. TREASURER’S REPORT: $26,388 as of 2-28.
4. ON-GOING ACTIVITIES: () Mike Perkins advised that Bob Serros purchased a table for the 2017 “John Young History Makers” event on April 5, 5:30 p.m., at the Church Street Ballroom honoring Pat Williams [present] and Dr. Wells [past] with seats for 10 on “first-come basis.” () Tiffany Rivera reported on the Veterans’ Legacy project underway through the UCF “RICHES” program with a grant from the Veterans Administration. () Check www.orlandoremembered.org & https://www.facebook.com/groups/71485598736/ for numerous photos posted by Ron Jaffe that were taken at the March 2nd “What’s Up Downtown” Historic Walking Tour, when several members appeared in “character” at various stops along the route.
5. ANNOUNCEMENTS/GOOD OF THE ORDER: ☺ Laura Cowie, Regional History Center Communications, reported on the Little House parked at the entrance. Just 175sf, it was designed/built by Zack Griffin demonstrating how plastic building materials can improve energy efficiency. ☺ Get-Well thoughts continue for Emmett O’Dell and Bob Serros on continued improvements and return to OR! ☺ Ann Fishback Bennett presented an original Abstract of Title found in papers from her father’s law office covering ownership of property [Section 25, Twp. 22S, Range 27E & Sec. 30, Twp. 22, R 28] from 1878-1902, listing various “Dann” family members during first 10 years.
6. ORLANDOANS REMEMBERED: People whose lives were so important to so many, who helped make Orlando a great City and whose passing represents a significant loss to our community: Janet Redick Thompson; Wm. Jess Lee; James Arell Harris, Jr.; Margie Lee Smith Herrington; Nancy May McDonald; Phyllis Jean Kloeckler Shamelya; Geraldine “Gerry” Bowden Long; Robert Haynes “Sandy” Sanderson; Dr. Quentin Lafayette Green; Maggie Grace Sample; Thomas Bland Bennett, Jr.; Elizabeth Partin “Lee” Bell; Albert Yurko, Esq.; James Forrest Daniel; Dr. Salvatore Silvestri; Dave Wheeler; Jean B. Fuqua; Alma Lois Whittaker Stonebreaker; William A. Liles, Sr.; Bruce T. Jennings; Xandra Elizabeth Whitaker Roth; Dr. June F. Kennedy-Bartlett; Margaret “Peg” Harter Pattillo.
7. ADJOURNMENT: There being no further business, meeting was adjourned at 10:10 a.m. Next OR gathering is April 19th, 9 a.m., at the History Center.
Grace Ann Chewning, Secretary-Treasurer
Orlando Remembered, Inc., Loves “The City Beautiful!”