On Wednesday, May 17, 2017, Orlando Remembered, Inc., met at the Orange County Regional History Center, 65 E. Central Blvd., Orlando FL. Meeting was called to order at 9 a.m., followed by the Pledge of Allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America. Attending were:
Claude Wolfe, President
Vic Ratliff, Vice President
Grace Chewning, Secretary/Treas.
Tom Beaty, Jr.
Peggy Jo van den Berg
Tom Warlow, III
- PRESENTATION: Special Guest Speaker, Tom Beaty, reviewed personal family history on migration from Valdosta, GA, to Central Florida and shared special memories about the extraordinary years of association with Martin and Gracia Andersen – after OHS graduation in ’52 at age 18 when he went to work as a laborer installing fence on Andersen property in Windermere through advancement to becoming Mr. Andersen’s “Publisher’s Agent” [a/k/a personal assistant]! Photo boards accompanying various aspects of his presentation were displayed.
- MINUTES – The April 19 minutes were approved as written on motion of S. Cannon, seconded by D. Batchelor and vote carried.
- TREASURER’S REPORT: $26,900.95 as of 4-30.
- EXHIBITS/PANELS: F Mark Line provided a positive report about current owner’s continued support in the panel proposed for 1 N. Orange Ave. building. He advised that relocation/installation of display on the 4th floor of the Orlando Public Library has been completed.
- ON-GOING ACTIVITIES: () Shirley Cannon noted invitation by Historical Society Executive Director Mike Perkins to 30+ history groups in Central Florida to an organizational meeting tomorrow for discussion on creating an alliance. She also invited members to the June 11, 3 p.m., Quarterly Meeting of the Pine Castle Historical Society, 5901 S. Orange Ave. () REMINDER: Periodically check out www.orlandoremembered.org & https://www.facebook.com/groups/71485598736/ for photos/info posted by our Webmaster Ron Jaffe!
- ANNOUNCEMENTS/GOOD OF THE ORDER: J John Camichos related via email that if anyone missed the WUCF “Orlando One” interview with his daughter, Lisa, but still wish to see it, they can view it on YouTube using “Lisa Camichos” as their search target. Also on that site is her presentation at the Volos Museum last summer as well as some videos she posted of the Pelion area of Greece.
Update from Past President Bob Serros: “…Overall I’m doing ok, except for the fatigue from the daily chemo. But my appetite is improving and slowly gaining weight. Doc says I’m “stable.” Chest CT last month was normal. Sure miss everyone but I’m determined to conquer this demon and rejoin the human race. Lots of love from Rosie and me…” J Grace Chewning reported the 90th birthday celebration honoring former Orlando and Orange County Commissioner at the Majestic Event Center on May 13th was FANTASTIC! Just published is a book she has written: “1820 Mable Butler Avenue.”
- ORLANDOANS REMEMBERED: People whose lives were so important to so many, who helped make Orlando a great City and whose passing represents a significant loss to our community: Victoria “Vicki” Gardner; Dr. Jerold “Jerry” Fadem, Sr.; Annette Peters Neel; Laura Hurt McKeever.
- ADJOURNMENT: There being no further business, meeting was adjourned at 10:10 a.m. Next OR gathering is June 21st, 9 a.m., at the History Center, 5th Floor Conference Room.
Reminder: President Wolfe has scheduled regular meetings for July 19th and August 16th at the downtown Orlando Public Library, 3rd floor.]
Grace Ann Chewning, Secretary-Treasurer