On Wednesday, July 17, 2017, Orlando Remembered, Inc., met at the Orlando Public Library, 101 E. Central Blvd., Orlando FL. Meeting was called to order at 9 a.m., followed by the Pledge of Allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America. Attending were:
Claude Wolfe, President
Vic Ratliff, Vice President
Grace Chewning, Secretary/Treas.
Bob Serros, Past President
Jacob V. “Jake” Stuart, Jr., Esq.
Hon. Robert F. Stuart
- PRESENTATION: Attorney Jacob V. “Jake” Stuart, Jr., with “Uncle” Robert F. Stuart [aka The Honorable Orlando City Commissioner, District 3], shared personal memories accompanied by photo history of the “Stuart Clan,” especially from arrival in “The City Beautiful” of patriarch George L. Stuart, Sr., during the 1930s , and opening of the original downtown business supply office in 1934!
- MINUTES: The June 21 minutes were approved as written on motion of V. Ratliff, seconded by M. Line and vote carried.
- TREASURER’S REPORT: $26,907.56 as of 6-30.
- EXHIBITS/PANELS: F Mark Line advised that History Center staff are interfacing with management at the Morgan & Morgan/Wells Fargo building, 20 N. Orange Ave., to facilitate reinstallation of the OR “flagship” San Juan exhibit.
- ON-GOING ACTIVITIES: () Tiffany Rivera reported via email that: A) As a continued partnership with UCF RICHES, the Orlando Remembered downtown Post Office digital exhibit is now live at https://richesmi.cah.ucf.edu/omeka/exhibits/show/orlandorememberedhome, noting there are four digital exhibits in the OR collection of RICHES. B) Assistance is requested from OR “techies” in connection with grant received to enhance the RICHES Bookbag tool; and as part of the process, small focus groups ware being hosted with community members to gather feedback. Mark Line, Ron Jaffe and John Olin specifically are encouraged to participate, but all are welcome. Please email Tiffany.Rivera@ucf.edu.
- ANNOUNCEMENTS/GOOD OF THE ORDER: J Special THANKS to Jane Tracy for arranging today’s meeting at the Library. Members were invited to view the outstanding OR exhibit that has been refurbished and moved to the 4th floor of the Library. J As a friend of Captain John Young, Charlie Gray helped facilitate request by Lindsey Hankins Wehrheim, first scholarship winner from the History Center’s John Young History Maker event 12 years ago, to write the retired Astronaut on what that opportunity meant to her. A Georgia Tech graduate, she is a Primary Examiner with the Patent Office in Alexandria, VA.
- ORLANDOANS REMEMBERED: People whose lives were so important to so many, who helped make Orlando a great City and whose passing represents a significant loss to our community: Albert Lanier “Buck” Lewis, Esq.; Julia G. Brooks; Lowell A. Steinfeld, M.D.; Carl Weir Townsend; Juan P. Boudet, Jr., M.D.; Hon. Parker Lee McDonald; Robert H. “Bob” Ragans, Jr.; Mary Dodd Scott; Jane Vaughan Tracy; Julius “Glen” Gause; M. Carol Bergman; Jane Warnock McElyea.
- ADJOURNMENT: There being no further business, meeting was adjourned at 10:30 a.m. Next OR gathering is August 16th, 9:30 a.m., at the Orlando Public Library, 3rd Floor.
Grace Ann Chewning, Secretary-Treasurer