On Wednesday, August 16, 2017, Orlando Remembered, Inc., met at the Orlando Public Library, 101 E. Central Blvd., Orlando FL. Meeting was called to order at 9:30 a.m., followed by the Pledge of Allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America. Attending were:
Claude Wolfe, President
Vic Ratliff, Vice President
Grace Chewning, Secretary/Treas.
Troy Finnegan, Esq.
- PRESENTATION: Attorney Troy Finnegan, General Counsel for the Dr. Phillips operations, offered an historical perspective on the Phillips Dynasty. He then introduced the film One Hundred Million Oranges showing the unbelievably detailed process from planting citrus trees to canning the juices for final destination in the market and home consumption!
- MINUTES: The July 19 minutes were approved as written on motion of S. Cannon, seconded by G. Padgett and vote carried.
- TREASURER’S REPORT: $26,920.55 as of 7-31.
- NEW BUSINESS: F It was moved by G. Chewning, seconded by V. Ratliff and vote carried that George Rodon [3531 Edlingham Ct., Belle Isle 32812, 701-7667, George.email@example.com] and Tom Beaty [613 Albertson Pl., 32806, 851-7058, firstname.lastname@example.org] be WELCOMED as “Orlando Remembered Warriors!
- ON-GOING ACTIVITIES: () Shirley Cannon reported that 8 boxes of memories have been donated to the Pine Castle Woman’s Club following closing of the 140-year old Pine Castle School and search is on for an author to write a history. () REMINDER: Periodically check out our website and Facebook, www.orlandoremembered.org & https://www.facebook.com/groups/71485598736/, for photos/info posted by Webmaster Ron Jaffe!
- ANNOUNCEMENTS/GOOD OF THE ORDER: J John Camichos related that his daughter, Lisa, will make a presentation on the “Orlando Plan” to the Association of Modern Greek Studies at Stockton University in November and that she has been invited to Volos, Greece, to assist in production of a documentary on the subject [check her name on YouTube for more info]. J Once again – Special THANKS to Jane Tracy for arranging today’s meeting at the Library. Members were invited to view the outstanding OR exhibit that has been refurbished and moved to the 4th floor of the Library. J All are invited to the “90th Anniversary of Leon Handley’s Natal Day” at the Dubsdread Banquet Room, Sunday, September 10th, 3-5 p.m.
- ORLANDOANS REMEMBERED: People whose lives were so important to so many, who helped make Orlando a great City and whose passing represents a significant loss to our community: Wilson Malcolm Clayton; Lester Norman Mandell; Robert Elden Hicks, Ph.D.; Charter Member Claude G. Hunter, Jr.
- ADJOURNMENT: There being no further business, meeting was adjourned at 10:45 a.m.
Grace Ann Chewning, Secretary-Treasurer