On Wednesday, February 21, 2018, Orlando Remembered,Inc.,met at the Orange County Regional History Center, 65 E. Central Blvd., Orlando FL. Meeting was called to order at 9:00 a.m., followed by the Pledge of Allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America. Attending were:
Claude Wolfe, President
Vic Ratliff, Vice President
Grace Chewning, Secretary/Treas.
Commissioner Sam Ings
- PRESENTATION: Guest speaker, The Honorable Samuel B. Ings, Orlando City Commissioner, District 6, provided a truly dynamic presentation, especially relative to “Black History Month,” sharing special information on equality efforts demonstrated over the last 6-7 decades by local leaders, such as Paul Perkins, Sr., Esq., Nap Ford, Mable Butler, Arthur “Pappy” Kennedy, Belvin Perry, Sr., Belvin Perry, Esq., Rev. Nelson Pinder, “Chief” James Wilson, Rufus Brooks, Wilbur Gary.
- MINUTES: The January 17 minutes were approved as written on motion of M. Line, seconded by D. Assael and vote carried.
- TREASURER’S REPORT: $28,184.91 [including $10,000 in Andrew N. Serros Legacy Endowment Fund] as of 1-31-18.
- NEW BUSINESS: FDetails were shared on how to participate in the Tinker Field History Plaza Memorial Brick Program. FMark Line advised that the annual Historic Walking Tour of Downtown is scheduled for March 1ststarting at the Downtown Orlando Information Center, 9 a.m., with several Orlando Rememberedmembers making “character appearances” at various buildings within the area.
- ON-GOING ACTIVITIES: () Note was given to the “Pioneer Days” celebration sponsored by the Pine Castle Woman’s Club at Cypress Grove Park on February 24 & 25, 10 a.m.-5 p.m. () Tiffany Rivera expressed benefit of the UCF “RICHES” programs/projects continuing partnership with Orlando Remembered and enhancement of focus groups.
- ANNOUNCEMENTS/GOOD OF THE ORDER: JREMINDER: Periodically check out our website and Facebook, www.orlandoremembered.org& https://www.facebook.com/groups/71485598736/, for photos/info posted by Webmaster Ron Jaffe!
- ORLANDOANS REMEMBERED: People whose lives were so important to so many, who helped make Orlando a great City and whose passing represents a significant loss to our community: John Matthew McCormick, Esq.; Shelia Dann; Louise Engdahl Wise; Harold Walker; Brittain “Britt” Arnold Simms; Edward James “E.J.” Utley; Sydney “Syd” Allen Levy; Norman Linder “Norm” Heill, Esq.; Alan McLeod Ross; Dr. Joseph “Joe” Charles Nagelsen, Jr., DDS; Randy Ransom; Marland E. “Ben” Benner.
- ADJOURNMENT:There being no further business, meeting was adjourned at 10:20 a.m. Next regular meeting is Wednesday, March 21, 9:00 a.m.
Grace Ann Chewning, Secretary-Treasurer