On Wednesday, April 18, 2018, Orlando Remembered,Inc.,met at the Orange County Regional History Center, 65 E. Central Blvd., Orlando FL. Meeting was called to order at 9:00 a.m., followed by the Pledge of Allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America. Attending were:
Vic Ratliff, Vice President
Grace Chewning, Secy./Treas.
Peggy Jo van den Berg
Dr. Mac Barnes
- GUEST SPEAKER: Cecil Moore [“The One and Only – Legend in His Own Mind!”] provided an informative AND humorous discourse on childhood escapades while growing up in Orlando and an historical outline of the family-owned/operated Moore Foundry & Machine, whose products included manhole covers, until it closed in 1970s, noting at one time there were such 10 operations in Florida, now only two remain [in Archer & Miami].
- MINUTES: The March 21 minutes were approved as written on motion of G. Daugherty seconded by B. Leach and vote carried.
- TREASURER’S REPORT: $28,696.06 [including $10,000 in Andrew N. Serros Legacy Endowment Fund] as of 3-31-18.
- NEW BUSINESS: Joy Wallace Dickinson is Guest Speaker for this Saturday’s 15thBiennial Luncheon of the “Orlando Natives” [a/k/a as female equivalent of the male “Orange County Old Timers!] at Rio Pinar Country Club on “Remembering…The City Beautiful.”
Concerns were brought forward about recent discontinuation of Death Notices being published daily in the Orlando Sentinel. Personal opinions may be expressed through Letters to the Editor [Avido Khahalfa, 407-420-5341, email@example.com; Managing Editor John Cutter, 407-540-3593, firstname.lastname@example.org; Paul Owens, 407-650-6514, email@example.com;firstname.lastname@example.org.
- ON-GOING ACTIVITIES: The 12thAnnual John Young History Maker Celebration is scheduled for Tuesday May 22nd, 5:30 p.m., History Center, honoring Dr. E. Ann McGee, retiring President of Seminole State College [Present] and the late Al Nelson, Orlando Human Relations Director [Past]. Information on other events/programs/exhibits by the Historical Society is at www.thehistorycenter.org. () Tiffany Rivera reported via email that the UCF RICHES team hosted three workshops on “How to Conduct a History Harvest.” These workshops were presented at THATCamp FL at the College for community-based organizations and at the National Council of Public History Conference in Las Vegas. We are looking to partner with the Sanford Museum and the St. Cloud Heritage Museum to assist in hosting a History Harvest. Also, work is on-going to enhance the RICHES Mosaic Interface Bookbag Tool.
- ANNOUNCEMENTS/GOOD OF THE ORDER: JREMINDER: Periodically check out our website and Facebook, www.orlandoremembered.org& https://www.facebook.com/groups/71485598736/,
- ORLANDOANS REMEMBERED: People whose lives were so important to so many, who helped make Orlando a great City and whose passing represents a significant loss to our community: Mary Jo Stroud Davis; Henri Landwirth; Charles Joseph Ferrell; James Clayton Chandler; Keith Spriggs.
- ADJOURNMENT:There being no further business, meeting was adjourned at 10:20 a.m. Next regular meeting is Wednesday, May 16, 9:00 a.m.
Grace Ann Chewning, Secretary-Treasurer