On Wednesday, June 20, 2018, Orlando Remembered,Inc.,met at the Orange County Regional History Center, 65 E. Central Blvd., Orlando FL. Meeting was called to order at 9:00 a.m., followed by the Pledge of Allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America. Attending were:
Vic Ratliff, Vice President
Grace Chewning, Secy./Treas.
Dr. Mac Barnes
- GUEST SPEAKER: Richard “Rick” Cronin, prolific author of six+ books on the history of Central Florida [e.g., Beyond Gatlin, Orlando Florida Origins, First Road to Orlando: The Mellonville Rd. to Orlando Rd.] regaled us with an awesome presentation of “facts” starting with incorporation of Orlando per handwritten minutes of meetings held in June and August, 1875. He also cited information on the origin of how Orlando got its name, which does NOT support any of the commonly-held theories!
- MINUTES: The May 16 minutes were approved as written on motion of L. Handley, seconded by V. Woodbery and vote carried.
- TREASURER’S REPORT: $28,703.02 [including $10,000 in Andrew N. Serros Legacy Endowment Fund] as of 4-30-18.
- NEW BUSINESS: FMark Line, Exhibits Coordinator, related that the display in the Downtown Orlando Information Center, 201 S. Orange Ave., is undergoing major renovation, so our display needs to be removed and placed in storage pending possible relocation. Mark suggested consideration be given to making a video of the artifacts in the case along with an historical explanation that could be used with on-site monitors.
- OLD BUSINESS: Joy Dickinson provided an update on activities involving the proposed “Harriett’s Orlando Ballet Centre” to be built on the old Orlando Youth Center/Loch Haven Park Neighborhood Center site, including a planned memorabilia gallery within the new structure on which Orlando Rememberedhas been asked to participate in its development.
- ON-GOING ACTIVITIES: () The 12thAnnual John Young History Maker Celebration on May 22ndhonoring Dr. E. Ann McGee, retiring President of Seminole State College [Present] and the late Al Nelson, Orlando Human Relations Director [Past] was an outstanding evening! () Information on other events/programs/exhibits at www.thehistorycenter.org. () Shirley Cannon stated efforts are being pursued for possible acquisition of property nearby the Pinecastle Woman’s Club. () Tiffany Rivera noted that UCF RICHES greatly appreciates the continued partnership with Orlando Remembered. A History Harvest Workshop will be offered in the fall to historical organizations and cultural sites. More information to come.
- ANNOUNCEMENTS/GOOD OF THE ORDER: JKudos to Jane Tracy who planned and coordinated the 6-week series, “Money Talks for Women,” at the Orlando Public Library. JJohn Camichos reported the following schedule for his daughter, Lisa: 6-28, “Beyond Relief and Rehabilitation: UNRRA in Historical Perspective, 1943-1947” — Newcastle University, England; July-Aug., in Greece working on the Greek documentary regarding “The Orlando Plan”; 7-31/8-2, History Educators International Research Network.-“The Orlando Plan: Using Family History, Oral History and Primary Source Documents to Encourage Student Learning and Participation in Social Sciences” – Ionian University, Corfu, Greece; 10-5/6, European Studies Conference – “Saving Volos: The Orlando Plan” – University of Omaha, Nebraska; 1-3/6, American Historical Assn.—“The Orlando Plan: Loyalty and Philotimo” – Chicago, Illinois. JREMINDER: Periodically check our website, www.orlandoremembered.organd Facebook, https://www.facebook.com/groups/71485598736/,VPrayers for Texann Buck who will receive her first chemo treatment this morning.
- ORLANDOANS REMEMBERED: People whose lives were so important to so many, who helped make Orlando a great City and whose passing represents a significant loss to our community: Sherman S. Dantzler; Wayne L. Carse; Adrienne Lousin Zorian-Stuart; David Rogers; Donna Scheck. [Also, check http://orlandoremembered.org/members/epoch-obituaries/]
- ADJOURNMENT:There being no further business, meeting was adjourned at 10:20 a.m. Next regular meeting is Wednesday, July 18, 9:00 a.m.
Grace Ann Chewning, Secretary-Treasurer
Orlando Remembered, Inc., Loves “The City Beautiful!”