On Wednesday, February 20, 2019, Orlando Remembered, Inc., met at the Orange County Regional History Center, 65 E. Central Blvd., Orlando FL. Meeting was called to order at 9:00 a.m., followed by the Pledge of Allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America.
Jane Tracy, President
Grace Chewning, Secy./Treas.
Claude Wolfe, Past President
Hon. Regina Hill
1. GUEST SPEAKER: The Honorable Regina Hill, Orlando City Commissioner/District 5, gave an outstanding “dynamite” presentation, covering life events spanning years from her childhood to elected office!
2. MINUTES: The January 16 minutes were approved as written on motion of M. Line, seconded by C. Wolfe and vote carried.
3. TREASURER’S REPORT: $28,538.13
[including $10,000 in Andrew N. Serros Legacy Endowment Fund]
as of 1-31-19.
4. NEW BUSINESS: F WELCOME new Orlando Remembered Warrior: Robert N. Blackford, 1343 Country Club Oaks Cir., 32804, 872-1232/H, 808-4843/C, firstname.lastname@example.org.
5. OLD BUSINESS: Mark Line advised that he will continue dialog with the new owners of the Angebilt Hotel on placement of an exhibit, possibly the one in storage originally installed at 2 S. Orange Ave.
6. ON-GOING ACTIVITIES: () The 13th Annual John Young History Makers Celebration is scheduled for Tuesday, April 23rd, 5:30-8:30 p.m., at the History Center, honoring Ford Kiene/Present and Richard “Dick” Fletcher/Past. () Tiffany Rivera reported that next Wednesday, Feb. 27, 3:30-5:45 p.m., in Room 101, Trevor Colbourn Hall, UCF RICHES will hold a free Oral History Workshop on how to conduct interviews, receive helpful tips on developing interview questions, learn steps to take prior to and after the interview is complete, participate in a mock interview. () Joy Dickinson indicated the Orange Preservation Trust is reviewing possibilities for land-marking status of structures within the Parramore area.
7. ANNOUNCEMENTS/GOOD OF THE
Healing prayers continue for Texann Buck! J Reminder that the
Annual Pine Castle Pioneer Days Family Festival is scheduled this weekend,
February 23-24, at Cypress Grove Park on Holden Ave.! J Richard Forbes noted: Fthe
double display in the City Hall Lobby has been removed temporarily while
building renovations are underway; Fthe Lake Eola Heights
Garden Tour is March 31st, noon-5 p.m., starting at Broadway
Methodist Church; Fcommented on the Landmark process and progress on full
restoration at the Grand Avenue School. J Mark Line announced
this year’s Historic Walking Tour of Downtown Orlando – with “character”
appearances by Orlando Remembered
members – is Thursday, April 4, starting 8:30 a.m. at the Downtown Orlando
Information Center, 201 S. Orange Ave. and ending at the History Center.
8. ORLANDOANS REMEMBERED [See http://orlandoremembered.org/members/epoch-obituaries/]: People whose lives were so important to so many, who helped make Orlando a great City and whose passing represents a significant loss to our community: Dr. Leland Park; Mary Combs Clark; Jeanette Sue Sturgeon Henry; Rev. William “Bill” Alexander; Egerton King “Van” van den Berg, Esq.; Jean Dawson Kostik; Jean Curtis Yothers.
9. ADJOURNMENT: There being no further business, meeting was adjourned at 10:30 a.m. Next meeting is Wednesday, March 20, 9:00 a.m., at the Orange County Regional History Center, 65 E. Central Blvd.
Grace Ann Chewning, Secretary-Treasurer