On Wednesday, September 18, 2019, Orlando Remembered, Inc., met in the Melrose Center at the Orlando Public Library, 101
E. Central Blvd., Orlando FL. Meeting was called to order at 9:30 a.m.,
followed by the Pledge of Allegiance to the Flag of the United States of
America. Attending were:
Jane Tracy, President
Grace Chewning, Secy./Treas.
Claude Wolfe, Past President
1. GUEST SPEAKER: “Our Own” Joy Wallace Dickinson, author and “Florida Flashback” columnist, provided a delightful presentation on myriad people, places and things of “local” historic interest!
2. MINUTES: The August 21 minutes were approved as written on motion of D. Batchelor, seconded by G. Rodon and vote carried.
3. TREASURER’S REPORT: $28,433.70
[including $10,000 in Andrew N. Serros Legacy Endowment Fund]
as of 6-30-19.
4. EXHIBITS/DISPLAYS: () M. Line advised that efforts continue for installation of displays in the Angebilt Hotel and at the Callahan Center.
5. ON-GOING ACTIVITIES: () Tiffany Rivera reported via email that: F UCF RICHES co-hosted two history harvest events in September. Partnering with the Friends of Weeki Wachee Springs, RICHES digitized several items donated by former mermaids of Weeki Wachee Springs. F Additionally, RICHES partnered with the LGBTQ History Museum of Central Florida to preserve the stories and experiences of queer people of color in Central Florida’s history. All items collected from both initiatives will be archived in the RICHES Mosaic Interface™. F RICHES will host an Oral History Workshop October 23, 3:30 p.m., on the main campus in the Trevor Colbourn Hall Graduate Student Center Presentation Center. If any Orlando Remembered members wish to attend, please email Tiffany.Rivera@ucf.edu in advance so accommodations may be made for complimentary parking. () S. Cannon noted that the Mayors of Edgewood and Belle Isle along with the District County Commissioner are supporting various projects supported by the Pine Castle Historical Society. Also, at the Society’s Quarterly meeting this Sunday, author Richard Lee Cronin will present his latest book: “Will Wallace Harney, Orange County’s First Renaissance Man.” () T. Porter advised that Orange Preservation Trust currently is working on land-marking of historic churches.
6. ANNOUNCEMENTS/GOOD OF THE ORDER: & Continued prayers for Texann Buck [weekly chemo]. ! Great article on the front page of today’s Orlando Sentinel, commemorating the 35th Anniversary of Col. Joe Kittinger’s trans-Atlantic hot air balloon journey! – Remember to check our social media presence at website [http://orlandoremembered.org/] and on Facebook [https://www.facebook.com/groups/71485598736/].
7. ORLANDOANS REMEMBERED [See http://orlandoremembered.org/members/epoch-obituaries/]: V People whose lives were important to so many, who helped make Orlando a great City and whose passing represents a significant loss to our community: V Francis Xavier Pignone, Jr.; Mary Lou Truett; Iva Rosiland “Roz” Bernstein Baumstein; J. Pendleton Gaines, Jr.; Dr. Harry C. Stone, M.D.; Roland Marion Lee.