On Wednesday, February 15, 2017, Orlando Remembered, Inc., met at the Orange County Regional History Center, 65 E. Central Blvd., Orlando FL. Meeting was called to order at 9 a.m., followed by the Pledge of Allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America. Attending were:
Claude Wolfe, President
Vic Ratliff, Vice President
Grace Chewning, Secretary/Treas.
Father Nelson Pinder
1. PRESENTATION: Special Guest Speaker, The Reverend Canon Nelson Wardell Pinder [recipient of the 2015 Donald A. Cheney Award], addressed the group with an in-depth commentary on how Orlando remained relatively calm in the center of civil rights tensions experienced elsewhere in the Nation during the 1960s, which he credited to extra-ordinary efforts by City officials and citizenry, citing specific examples of how people worked together to accomplish peaceful integration in “The City Beautiful.”
2. MINUTES – The January 18 minutes were approved as written on motion of V. Ratliff, seconded by B. Leach and vote carried.
3. TREASURER’S REPORT: $26,387 as of 1-31.
4. ON-GOING ACTIVITIES: () Reminder that the 2017 “John Young History Makers” event is April 5 at the Church Street Ballroom honoring Pat Williams [present] and Dr. Wells [past]. () Referring to March 2nd “What’s Up Downtown” Historic Walking Tour, Mark Line noted that several members will appear in “character” at various stops along the route.
5. ANNOUNCEMENTS/GOOD OF THE ORDER: ☺ Get-Well Wishes to Emmett O’Dell who is undergoing surgery today on his arm! ☺ Loving thoughts to Bob Serros for continued improvement and return to OR!
6. ORLANDOANS REMEMBERED: People whose lives were so important to so many, who helped make Orlando a great City and whose passing represents a significant loss to our community: David Wash Foley, Sr.; Barbara Ann Stone Roth; Jane McNerney Staly; John Richard “Jack” Shirek; Edwin “Ed” Desso Creech; Mary Jean Moore Riddle; William “Bill” Hayes Barnes; Chester Walker Bankston, Jr.; Robert Leon Becton; Faye Cleveland Ankney; James “Jim” Blair Thomas.
7. ADJOURNMENT: There being no further business, meeting was adjourned at 10:30 a.m. Next OR gathering is March 15th, 9 a.m., at the History Center.
Grace Ann Chewning, Secretary-Treasurer
Orlando Remembered, Inc., Loves “The City Beautiful!”