On Wednesday, June 19, 2019, Orlando Remembered, Inc., met at the Orange County Regional History Center, 65 E. Central Blvd., Orlando FL. Meeting was called to order at 9:10 a.m., followed by the Pledge of Allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America. Attending were:
Jane Tracy, President
Grace Chewning, Secy./Treas.
Victoria Hinson Griffin
1. GUEST SPEAKER: Richard Cronin enthralled the group with a presentation on his latest book, Orlando Lakes: Homesteaders & Namesakes, providing a different slant about the fascinating story of Central Florida’s founding, and adding how lakes were named, noting 300+ lakes were named during the 19th Century alone with the origins of many lost to history [UNTIL his extensive research!].
2. MINUTES: The May 15 minutes were approved as written on motion of J. Camichos, seconded by R. Kincaid and vote carried.
3. TREASURER’S REPORT: $28,616.04
[including $10,000 in Andrew N. Serros Legacy Endowment Fund]
as of 3-31-19.
4. ON-GOING ACTIVITIES: () Tiffany Rivera related that UCF RICHES continues its work with the Parramore community in researching its economic and educational history. () Shirley Cannon reported on myriad activities supporting the Pinecastle Woman’s Club and Pine Castle Historical Society.
5. ANNOUNCEMENTS/GOOD OF THE ORDER: V Healing prayers for: Texann Buck [weekly chemo]; Charlie Gray [triple bypass heart surgery last week]; and Leon Handley [recent auto accident]. J Lisa Camichos commented on aspects regarding her trip to Paros, Greece, June 28-29, where she will address the First Annual Greek Symposium on “The Orlando Plan.”
6. ORLANDOANS REMEMBERED [See http://orlandoremembered.org/members/epoch-obituaries/]: People whose lives were so important to so many, who helped make Orlando a great City and whose passing represents a significant loss to our community: Dr. Gordon Livingston Kiester, DDS; William Leon Eagan, Esq.; Betty Ann Brady.
7. ADJOURNMENT: There being no further business, meeting was adjourned at 10:30 a.m.
Next meeting is Wednesday, July 17, 9:30, a.m., in the Melrose Center at the Orlando Public Library, 101 E. Central Blvd. –Guest Speaker, Rick Kilby, author of The Magical Springs of Old Florida.
Grace Ann Chewning, Secretary-Treasurer