On Wednesday, June 17, 2015, Orlando Remembered, a Committee of the Historical Society of Central Florida, met in the 3rd floor Grand Jury Room at the History Center, 65 E. Central Blvd., Orlando FL. Meeting was called to order at 9 a.m., followed by the Pledge of Allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America. Attending were:
Robert Serros, Chairman
Shirley Cannon, Vice Chairman
Mark Line, Past Chairman
Grace Chewning, Secretary
Joy Wallace Dickinson
Peggy Jo van den Berg
1. MINUTES – The May 20 minutes were approved as written.
2. TREASURER’S REPORT – Balances reported through May: $17,323.15 in the OR Money Market account; $9,498 in the Andrew N. Serros Legacy Endowment Fund [CD].
3. PROJECT PRIORITIES
A] 390 N. Orange Ave./Bank of America – A. Lam indicated completion of this project is imminent and displayed a sample of the prototype utilizing a pole design with cross arms!
B] Autrey Arcade/Jefferson Court block – A. Lam advised additional materials are still needed to finalize this proposed audio-visual monitor display.
4. OLD BUSINESS: [a] Strategic Initiatives: ► Member Education: Visit existing displays. ► Exhibits and website: Moving forward on re-establishing website for OR. ► “We Love Orlando” Party: No report.
► Orlando Remembered Legacy: No report. [b] “Historic Downtown Orlando Walking Tour” brochure, incorporating OR displays, should be printed by next meeting.
5. NEW BUSINESS: ☑ Whitney Broadaway, Collections Manager, submitted Report on “Orlando Remembered Display Inspections” as of today’s date. It was moved by G. Chewning, seconded by V. Ratliff and vote carried that same be accepted, including consideration to undertake various remedial actions recommended therein. ☑ WELCOME new OR Warrior, Bill Leach, 422-3140(H), 808-0409(C), 345 Lakeview St., Orlando 32804, firstname.lastname@example.org.
6. ON-GOING ACTIVITIES: () Historical Society President Mark Line commented on various activities at the History Center, such as up-dating documents, recruiting Board members, outsourcing marketing operation. () Dr. Lester provided an update on efforts of the UCF RICHES program. [Reminder: OR exhibits can be found at: https://richesmi.cah.ucf.edu/omeka2/orlandoremembered. Exhibit titles are Orlando Regions Bank, Orlando Public Library, Downtown Information Center. You may also search by repository. Orlando Remembered is listed and can be selected.] () Shirley Cannon announced the Crawford House relocation is finally scheduled on Sunday, June 14th, to 631 Wilkes Ave. for its repurposed life as the new Pine Castle History Center!
7. ANNOUNCEMENTS/GOOD OF THE ORDER: Richard Forbes extended Invitation to the Orlando Amtrak Station Ribbon Cutting on Monday, June 29, 11 a.m., at 1400 Sligh Blvd. For project details, visit: cityoforlando.net/AmtrakRestoration.
8. ORLANDOANS REMEMBERED – People whose lives were so important to so many, who helped make Orlando a great City and whose passing represents a significant loss to our community: John Sanford Brumback, Jr.; Jerry Mack Denson, DMD; Isaac Wells Alderman; Oliver Charles “Charlie” Branneky; Russell Troutman, Esq.; James H. “Jimmy” Evans, Jr.; Thomas “Tom” Peter Moran, Esq.; William “Bill” Totten; Katie Porta.
9. ADJOURNMENT – There being no further business, meeting was adjourned – at 9:50 a.m. Next gathering is September 16 at the History Center.
Grace Ann Chewning, Secretary
Orlando Remembered Loves “The City Beautiful!”