On Wednesday, September 19, 2018, Orlando Remembered,Inc.,met at the Orange County Regional History Center, 65 E. Central Blvd., Orlando FL. Meeting was called to order at 9:00 a.m., followed by the Pledge of Allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America. Attending were:
Claude Wolfe, President
Vic Ratliff, Vice President
Grace Chewning, Secy./Treas.
Peggy Jo van den Berg
Dr. Mac Barnes
- GUEST SPEAKERS [“A TWO-FER!”]: Chris Morgan led off sharing stories of a wonderful childhood growing up in “The City Beautiful” and his years in the banking industry before entering the building field, now owner/partner at Goehring & Morgan Construction, Inc. Dianna Morgan followed with memories of living in the “new” Dover Shores area, meeting her high school sweetheart, Chris, and how her 30-year career at Walt Disney World started as a “newbie” at the Welcome Center and ended in retirement as Sr. VP of Public Affairs/Human Resources!
- MINUTES: The June 20 minutes were approved as written on motion of L. Handley, seconded by B. Woodbery and vote carried.
- TREASURER’S REPORT: $28,502.57 [including $10,000 in Andrew N. Serros Legacy Endowment Fund] as of 8-31-18.
- NEW BUSINESS: F[A] Mark Line, Exhibits Coordinator, indicated the display case removed from the Visitors’ Center is proposed to “return” in a digital format using an on-site monitor with historical explanation. F[B] Mark Line, Chairman of the Nominating Committee, presented the following slate of Officers for 2018-19: Jane Tracy, President; Gary Daugherty, Vice President; Grace Chewning, Secretary-Treasurer. There being no nominations from the floor, it was moved by L. Handley, seconded by B. Leach and vote carried that the foregoing slate be elected by acclamation. Claude Wolfe and Vic Ratliff were given rousing applause in appreciation for their years’ service as President and Vice President, respectively!
- OLD BUSINESS: None.
- ON-GOING ACTIVITIES: () Shirley Cannon reminded everyone about the Pine Castle Woman’s Club AND South Orlando’s best party, “BBQ, BEER & BLUEGRASS,” on October 6th, 6-9 p.m., at Bagshaw Park next to Edgewood City Hall, benefitting the Pine Castle History Museum. () Mike Perkins directed attention to the special exhibit, “Genone: Unlocking Life’s Code,” opening at the History Center on Saturday, October 13, exploring 3 genomic ties to Central Florida, including Orlando Mayor Buddy Dyer; Jorge Estevez/WFTV; journalist Brendan O’Connor; Toni Pressley/Orlando Pride; and Geraldine Thompson, former State Representative/Senator, Wells’Built Museum founder.
- ANNOUNCEMENTS/GOOD OF THE ORDER: JREMINDER: Periodically check our website, www.orlandoremembered.organd Facebook, https://www.facebook.com/groups/71485598736/,VLoving prayers of healing for Richard Forbes who underwent shoulder surgery and Texann Ruck who continues chemo.
- ORLANDOANS REMEMBERED[See https://orlandoremembered.org/members/epoch-obituaries/]: People whose lives were so important to so many, who helped make Orlando a great City and whose passing represents a significant loss to our community: August– Martha Elizabeth Mobley Parish; Elizabeth A. “Libby” Newell Harrell Huggins; Janet Secord Pharr; Miles Chapline “Chappy” McDonnell, Esq.; Anne McCall Sanderson; Alan Berman; Dorothy Elizabeth Jancsik Smith; Ann Williams Jones. September– Artemisia Demopoulos Aycrigg; Frederick John Koenig; Robert E. Byrnes; Harry P. Raymond, Jr., MD; Louis Edwin Laubscher; Naomi “Bobbi” Ava Jackson Wise; Robert J. Shephard; John Joseph Kennedy, MD; Pastor Randall L. James.
- ADJOURNMENT:There being no further business, meeting was adjourned at 10:15 a.m. Next regular meeting is Wednesday, October 17, 9:00 a.m.
Grace Ann Chewning, Secretary-Treasurer
Orlando Remembered, Inc., Loves “The City Beautiful!”