On Wednesday, June 21, 2017, Orlando Remembered, Inc., met at the Orange County Regional History Center, 65 E. Central Blvd., Orlando FL. Meeting was called to order at 9 a.m., followed by the Pledge of Allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America. Attending were:
Vic Ratliff, Vice President
Grace Chewning, Secretary/Treas.
Pastor Randall L. James
- PRESENTATION: Special Guest Speaker, Pastor Randall L. James [retired OPD Lt.; former Chief of Staff to Mayors Langford, Frederick, Hood & Orange County Chairman Crotty; retired President of First Orlando Foundation and Associate Pastor First Baptist Church/Orlando] shared special – & extraordinary! – memories of experiences that occurred during his diverse careers, especially during assignment in the Mayor’s Office! Many of these may be found in the book he wrote, “Morphing Orlando…into a World-Class City,” published by Creation House. He brought copies to give several “excited” members.
- MINUTES: The May 17 minutes were approved as written on motion of A. Bennett, seconded by M. Line and vote carried.
- TREASURER’S REPORT: $26,907.56 as of 5-31.
- EXHIBITS/PANELS: F Mark Line advised that meetings are being scheduled toward reinstallation of an OR exhibit in the Morgan & Morgan/Wells Fargo building at 20 N. Orange Ave.
- ON-GOING ACTIVITIES: () Tiffany Rivera reported that: A) RICHES Mosaic Interface ™ has received a plant grant from the UCF College of Arts and Humanities providing funding to implement new features Bookbag tool for analysis, collaboration, and teaching. She advised that she will reach out to a few OR members to see if they can provide user feedback. B) THE UCF Veterans History Project, a RICHES initiative, is seeking Central Florida veterans’ stories. The project collects, preserves and makes accessible to the public oral history interviews of veterans. For more information or if anyone would like to tell their story call, 407-823-1816. () Shirley Cannon noted name change from Pine Castle Museum to Pine Castle History Center and encouraged membership in the Pine Castle Historical Society. Mark Line commented about proposed feasibility study on fund-raising to finish current campus and acquire additional property.
() Concerns were expressed about the future of Grand Avenue School [which was designated an Historic Landmark in 1995] based on recent news articles citing possible demolition. () REMINDER: Periodically check out www.orlandoremembered.org & https://www.facebook.com/groups/71485598736/ for photos/info posted by our Webmaster Ron Jaffe!
- ANNOUNCEMENTS/GOOD OF THE ORDER: J Grace Chewning distributed flyers from Michele Brennan, Orlando Communications/Neighborhood Relations, outlining how to be part of history by financially supporting construction of the Tinker Field History Plaza. J Heather Bonds announced the City’s Historic Preservation 2018 Calendar Competition runs through July 20th for submission of black and white pictures depicting homes, signs, and businesses built during 1940s-1967 that feature mid-century modern style, including interior photos of kitchens or bathrooms unchanged or decorated in true 1950/1960s fashion! Each photo selected will win the photographer $100 [see http://www.cityoforlando.net/city-planning/boards/historic-preservation-board/board-calendars/].
- ORLANDOANS REMEMBERED: People whose lives were so important to so many, who helped make Orlando a great City and whose passing represents a significant loss to our community: Shirley Ann Baines Charters; James Frederick “Jim” Carles; Rose Shimski Rossi Bianchi; James C. “Jim” Robinson, Esq.; Walter G. “Buckie” Allen, Jr.; Honorable Vera Murray Carter; Frances Noegel Martin; Faye Orr Ott; Mildred Malinowski; Larry Rinehart Martin.
- ADJOURNMENT: There being no further business, meeting was adjourned at 10:20 a.m. Next OR gathering is July 19th, 9 a.m., at the Orlando Public Library, 3rd Floor.
[F Reminder: President Wolfe has scheduled regular meetings for July 19th and August 16th at the downtown Orlando Public Library, 3rd floor.]
Grace Ann Chewning, Secretary-Treasurer