On Wednesday, March 21, 2018, Orlando Remembered,Inc.,met at the Orange County Regional History Center, 65 E. Central Blvd., Orlando FL. Meeting was called to order at 9:00 a.m., followed by the Pledge of Allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America. Attending were:
Claude Wolfe, President
Vic Ratliff, Vice President
Grace Chewning, Secretary/Treas.
Peggy Jo van den Berg
- GUEST SPEAKER: Johnny Jones, accompanied by brother Austin Jones, provided an extremely interesting historical perspective from personal involvement in the genesis of the Florida Citrus Open Invitational at Rio Pinar Country Club spearheaded by the Orlando Jaycees 1966-1978 [1styear – $30,000 to winner] which evolved to this year’s 40thArnold Palmer PGA Masters Invitational Tournament held at Bay Hill Club [$1.6 million to winner!].
- MINUTES: The February 21 minutes were approved as written on motion of M. Line, seconded by B. Leach and vote carried.
- TREASURER’S REPORT: $28,191.40 [including $10,000 in Andrew N. Serros Legacy Endowment Fund] as of 2-28-18.
- NEW BUSINESS: FMark Line reviewed successful annual Downtown Orlando Historic Walking Tour on March 1stinvolving several Orlando Rememberedmembers making “character appearances” at various buildings within the area.
- ON-GOING ACTIVITIES: () Information on events/programs/exhibits by the Historical Society at www.thehistorycenter.org. () Shirley Cannon distributed copies of the March Pine Castle Historical Society’s “Quarterly,” noting Award of Appreciation given to Mark Line for Service as Chairman of their Heritage Board. () Tiffany Rivera reported via email that the UCF RICHES project is offering “Collecting and Digitizing Local History Workshop: How to Conduct a History Harvest”on March 29, 5:30-7:30pm at UCF. History Harvest is an open invitation to local people to share historical artifacts and stories through digital preservation. This free workshop demonstrates how you can host a History Harvest in your local community and includes: Tips on how to organize a History Harvest; hands-on instruction on digitizing images; techniques to properly scan items and add historic information to digital files.
- ANNOUNCEMENTS/GOOD OF THE ORDER: JREMINDER: Periodically check out our website and Facebook, www.orlandoremembered.org& https://www.facebook.com/groups/71485598736/,
- ORLANDOANS REMEMBERED: People whose lives were so important to so many, who helped make Orlando a great City and whose passing represents a significant loss to our community: John Norman Rehse; William “Bill” Barnett, Esq.; Harry Bruce Straight; Anthony “Tony” Narushka; Ruth Scorgie Hubbard; John “Pappy” Evans, PhD; Margaret Allred Chapman; Jean Robinson Hook.
- ADJOURNMENT:There being no further business, meeting was adjourned at 10:20 a.m. Next regular meeting is Wednesday, April 18, 9:00 a.m.
Grace Ann Chewning, Secretary-Treasurer