On Wednesday, November 20, 2019, Orlando Remembered, Inc., met in the Melrose Center at the Orlando Public Library, 101
E. Central Blvd., Orlando FL. Meeting was called to order at 9:30 a.m.,
followed by the Pledge of Allegiance to the Flag of the United States of
America. Attending were:
Jane Tracy, President
Grace Chewning, Secy./Treas.
Bob Woodbery, Vice President
Claude Wolfe, Past President
1. GUEST SPEAKER: Bob Showalter, Showalter Aviation and Marine, shared highlights from the history of Showalter Flying Service and the Showalter family. Bob served as the Director of the National Air Transportation Association, a 900 member organization of aviation enterprise executives. Showalter Airpark made aviation history as “one of the finest privately owned airports in the United States” according to Wings in the Sun: the Annals of Aviation in Florida. Showalter Flying Service, the FBO family business of 70 years, brought much to the development of Central Florida with their business and community contributions, including nine National Business Aviation Association (NBAA) shows. In 2013, they received the Lifetime Achievement Award for Aviation Fuels from Phillips 66. For more information, see: http://orlandomemory.info/topics/bob-and-kim-showalter-oral-history-interview/
2. MINUTES: The October 16 minutes were approved as written on motion of V. Ratliff, seconded by B. Woodbery and vote carried.
3. TREASURER’S REPORT: $28,447.91
[including $10,000 in Andrew N. Serros Legacy Endowment Fund]
as of 6-30-19.
4. EXHIBITS/DISPLAYS: () M. Line noted that our storefront display at United Trophy was removed and is in storage. In view of this trend, he suggested consideration be given to developing videos reflecting the history of affected sites.
5. NEW BUSINESS: % M. Line relayed on-going activities by the recently formed Orlando Land Trust efforts to preserve property on Lake Eola at NEC of Rosalind/Central. % Heather Bonds distributed copies of the 2020 Historic Preservation Board Calendar featuring Orlando’s Historic Mediterranean Revival Architecture.
6. ON-GOING ACTIVITIES: () Tiffany Rivera reported via email that: F RICHES™ Mosaic Interface is currently undergoing a website update to improve its usability and would like to host a Orlando Remembered focus group to test the site. We will facilitate the session and would really like to hear feedback on the new site and its tools. If you are interested in participating, please email [email protected]. All are welcome to participate. () Annual Pine Castle Woman’s Annual Meeting is Sunday, 12-8, 3 p.m., 5901 S. Orange Ave., Dr. Ben Brotemarkle speaker [“The Complete History of Florida” – In Less Than An Hour].
7. ANNOUNCEMENTS/GOOD OF THE ORDER: & Continued prayers for Texann Buck [weekly chemo]; and Bob Serros [daily chemo pill]. Reminder – the Annual Downtown