On Wednesday, January 16, 2019, Orlando Remembered,Inc.,met at the Orlando Public Library/Melrose Center, 101 E. Central Blvd., Orlando FL. Meeting was called to order at 9:15 a.m., followed by the Pledge of Allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America. Attending were:
Jane Tracy, President
Grace Chewning, Secy./Treas.
Claude Wolfe, Past President
Peggy Jo van den Berg
1. GUEST SPEAKERS: Richard and Joy Fox delivered a fascinating, informative, “dynamite” presentation on“Bing Crosby’s Orlando Connection” covering a path from the atomic bomb and Nazi propaganda to Harry Lillis “Bing” Crosbyand Minute Maid Orange Juice.
2. MINUTES: The December 19 minutes were approved as written on motion of V. Ratliff, seconded by D. Batchelor and vote carried.
3. TREASURER’S REPORT: $28,530.92 [including $10,000 in Andrew N. Serros Legacy Endowment Fund] as of 12-31-18.
4. NEW BUSINESS: FWELCOME new Orlando RememberedWarriors: Dr. Mac F. Barnes, Jr., 318 Oak Estates Dr., Orlando 32806, 407-341-0804/cell, [email protected]; and Blaine Birchfield, 6952 Country Corner Ln., Orlando 32809, 714-813-1036, [email protected].
5. OLD BUSINESS: Mark Line advised that he is working with the new owners of the Angebilt Hotel on placement of an exhibit.
6. ON-GOING ACTIVITIES: () Tiffany Rivera reported that UCF RICHES is proud to partner with the St. Cloud Historical Society to host a History Harvest on Saturday, January 26. The items digitized as part of the harvest will contribute to a St. Cloud Collection created in the RICHES™ Mosaic Interface. Also, that Truth and Justice Project, Orange County, is a new RICHES partner and will be contributing items to the RICHES™ Mosaic Interface.
7. ANNOUNCEMENTS/GOOD OF THE ORDER: VHealing prayers go out to Charlie Gray and Texann Buck! JJoy Fox noted the Annual Pine Castle Pioneer Days Family Festival is scheduled February 23-24 at Cypress Grove Park on Holden Ave.!
8. ORLANDOANS REMEMBERED[See https://orlandoremembered.org/members/epoch-obituaries/]: People whose lives were so important to so many, who helped make Orlando a great City and whose passing represents a significant loss to our community: Ann Ralls Freeman Murrah; Stewart Radford Crane; William H. “Bill” Robbinson, Esq.; George Brock Magruder, Sr., M.D.; Harrell Lee Henson, Jr.; Nancy Lucile Crable Kirk.
9. ADJOURNMENT:There being no further business, meeting was adjourned at 10:30 a.m. Next meeting is Wednesday, February 20, 9:00 a.m., at the Orange County Regional History Center, 65 E. Central Blvd.